eDRUMin 1.3 BETA now available (again)

Rob
Site Admin

Re: eDRUMin 1.3 BETA now available (again)

Post by Rob »

monospace wrote:I think the manual could be a bit more clear on this. If I widen any particular area, do I get more of that sound? What does the horizontal line mean? Is it a threshold, or is it a limit? How do they work together?
I reread the section of the manual about the Rimshot Range control, I feel it's pretty clear. I could go more into the details, but I honestly think the extra information would only confuse the average user. Anyway, I'll give some more detail here.

The indicator's position from left to right represents the ratio of the magnitude of the rim signal to the magnitude of the head sensor. The height of the indicator represents the magnitude of the head signal. Clear as mud?
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

I try not to read too much information out of that control. If I strike a rim shot on the drum but get a center hit sound I widen the middle area to the left. Likewise if I strike a center hit on the drum and get a rim shot sound I widen the left area to the right. Same thing for the relationship between the rim and rim shot areas.

I don’t understand the multi layers of the color areas and what the line height of the indicator means either. The manual doesn’t really explain the individual parts of the control but then I have never cared.

Is velocity information even needed when building the relationships between center/rim shot/rim? I only ask because you may be able to simplify the control into something that looks like the PS control. Just a bar graph and a hit indicator.

And I agree... the visual approach to this is genius. On the MegaDrum I never understood this part of the setup. The third zone at the bottom of a pad setup... I never really understood what I was trying to do there. Since getting the eDRUMin I now understand, I think, that third zone settings area on the MD was trying to do the same thing the eDRUMin does with a simple graph. Genius!
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

Mylo wrote:I don’t understand the multi layers of the color areas
There's 3 different tones shown by the 3 colours. It's using 2 measurements to work out which one. An area graph is likely the only way to visually display this, although I’m unsure how the drum modules usually approach this? The big visual UI approach is one of the main benefits of the edrumin over the module.

Mylo wrote: you may be able to simplify the control into something that looks like the PS control.
To be honest, I have no idea how to read this! (I just need to re-read the manual, but it’s not immediately obvious what the green bar is altering). I would love a way to draw the centre, off centre and edge direct on a drum image (a bit like SD3).
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

I’m getting pulled into the confusion... maybe I should stay blissfully ignorant and be happy... :D :D

Beyond using this as a simple way to get the right articulations I don’t understand the control either. For example why the two levels... blue and red circles. And why isn’t the middle one in the red circle the same color as the middle one in the blue circle? What does the length of the indicator mean? I know when I hit my drum harder the indicator gets taller so it feels like velocity.

These questions may shed some light as to what is causing the confusion.
8AD25BB4-65B5-43D6-A6C8-02CF81364327.jpeg
8AD25BB4-65B5-43D6-A6C8-02CF81364327.jpeg (158.5 KiB) Viewed 946 times
BTW... when I hit the rim I don’t see an indicator. Could be a bug there.
Last edited by Mylo on Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

There aren't two levels, there are three zones as indicated by the colors. I explained the length of the indicator a couple of posts earlier.

I think can make every happy by simply not drawing the black lines.
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

Rob wrote:I think can make every happy by simply not drawing the black lines.
That would help. (with labels? :))
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

rimshot.jpg
rimshot.jpg (8.61 KiB) Viewed 944 times
Let's imagine this is how someone has the control setup. Where should I draw those labels? Would you be happy with tool tips?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

rimshot.jpg
rimshot.jpg (33.49 KiB) Viewed 944 times
Are we getting somewhere?
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

You have to be careful with hover text. It doesn’t work on tablets and phones.

The graph looks better. Now I’m not wondering why the horizontal black line was there.

I’m still wondering why I need to know this threshold value. What is it telling me? How does it help me set up the ranges? If you show me this stuff I start wondering how I’m supposed to use it so I go looking in the manual. If not in the manual I come here.
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

Rob wrote: Where should I draw those labels?
I was imaging a 'SS' and 'RS' floating in the centre on their black and green boxes
Last edited by MWJT42 on Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.