review of Drum-tec pro 14" snare and Edrumin

gkurtenbach

Re: review of Drum-tec pro 14" snare and Edrumin

Post by gkurtenbach »

Dadwrshpdrum wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:53 pm

FYI you can change PS on eDRUMin from CC to note. Then map the PS midi note to the “snare side” articulation in SSD5.5. Then you will have PS in SSD5.5.
Great tip!

Rob, Dadwrshpdrum's tip seems to have revealed a bug in the new HS suppression code:

Hard hits in the center which are in the red zone in the R control send a position outside the center. Here's how to reproduce:

- change position to Note mode
- set POS note to be your kick drum note
- hit hard in center. If the Position indicator goes into the red zone you should hear the kick.
- verify: put ring parameter all the way to the right (zone is all black). hard hits in the center don't accidentally trigger kicks.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

That is the intended behavior. If the hit lands in the 'orange' (red) zone, then it will always send the off-center note. I suppose I can also scale that 'orange' meter value by the velocity of the hit. Generally speaking, the harder the hit, the more likely it was at the center. I'll play around with it a bit today.
gkurtenbach

Post by gkurtenbach »

Rob wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:33 pm
That is the intended behavior. If the hit lands in the 'orange' (red) zone, then it will always send the off-center note. I suppose I can also scale that 'orange' meter value by the velocity of the hit. Generally speaking, the harder the hit, the more likely it was at the center. I'll play around with it a bit today.
Just to be clear, the "hard hit" is right in the center of the head--it should definitely be interpreted as a center hit not an edge hit. It shouldn't land in the orange zone. Maybe scaling by velocity might work: center hits stay out of the orange zone until I start to hit harder.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

That's probably happening because the signal is clipping, and as result throwing that measurement out of wack. I'll orverride that control if clipping is detected. That should solve the problem
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Just checked here, and the it's already set to send center if clipping is detected. Maybe you need to shrink the size of your orange rectangle? Here's what I'm using:
image.png
image.png (4.63 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
lalo

Post by lalo »

can you do a short video showing the drum-tec steel snare regarding positional sensing in SD3 and rimshots/cross sticks?
AndyDavis

Post by AndyDavis »

I know this is an ancient thread, but hoping that I can get a preset for the wood shell drum-tec snare.

Mine is still a bit hot spotty and I'd like to see settings that are working for others.
AndreaZanini

Post by AndreaZanini »

I think Drumtec should also send you their new GrooveBar and Groovedot triggers for testing and creating presets
____
Andy
gkurtenbach

Post by gkurtenbach »

AndyDavis wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:42 am
I know this is an ancient thread, but hoping that I can get a preset for the wood shell drum-tec snare.

Mine is still a bit hot spotty and I'd like to see settings that are working for others.
I've got mine (drum-tec pro 14" wood shell black) working pretty good but still have a bit of hotspot. I tried heavier hotspot suppress settings but it resulted in the rare strong hit being too quiet and I felt it maybe reduced the dynamics too much. Also, surprisingly, I ended up using no velocity curves (linear) for snare, rimshot and side stick--and no velocity curves in Superior Drummer 3. My settings are below.

I'm a bit dissapointed that drum-tec came up with a new mult-sensor snare and but no upgrade path from the original drum-tec pro snare. I'd love if someone would try the new snare with edrumin since is purports to not have a hot spot and better overall performance.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (190.86 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
AndyDavis

Post by AndyDavis »

Thanks. Good to know that it wasn't just me that struggled to get truly happy results.