lemon cymbals

mprinz

Re: lemon cymbals

Post by mprinz »

yeah, I finally ordered a 18" and 3x a 2pack of 15" :D
One 15" will be not used. Anyone from Germany interested in buying one .
monospace

Post by monospace »

ffmcloud wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:00 pm
Rob wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:02 am
Edge only triggers reliably when you hit the top surface of the edge, unfortunately.
Thats my only complain about this Cymbal and the other Cymbals of the line (15", 13", 12"). But for the price the overall performance is unbeaten.
How big of a deal is this in normal playing situations? I mean, I get incredibly irritated when a pad doesn't trigger consistently. Is it even fixable?
But then again, I never hit any cymbal directly sideways, so maybe this isn't really an issue in day to day use?
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

monospace wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:43 pm
But then again, I never hit any cymbal directly sideways, so maybe this isn't really an issue in day to day use?
No, I don't think it is!
All my cympal pads don't trigger the edge when hitting them with the stick perpendicular to cymbal. :?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Ya, but the Lemon won't event trigger the edge if you hit it at 45 degree angle, but all my Roland cymbals do. And the way this Lemon is designed, hitting the edge on a 45 degree angle is going to eventually cause the rubber to split and rip.
monospace

Post by monospace »

Rob wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:26 am
the way this Lemon is designed, hitting the edge on a 45 degree angle is going to eventually cause the rubber to split and rip.
Interesting. Have you tried opening it up to see what causes this and if it’s fixable?
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

You don't need to open it up...you can just feel it.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Rob wrote:
And the way this Lemon is designed, hitting the edge on a 45 degree angle is going to eventually cause the rubber to split and rip.

[...]

i had a good look at (and feel of) the edges of my cymbals yesterday after reading this.

this is not my impression at all but the only way we're really going to know is in a year or 3 when the edges do or do not start failing after prolonged use

i'd be extremely surprised if this becomes an issue for me given the way i set up and play cymbals (ymmv) and given the build quality, but as i said in my initial review they are new so no one knows about the longevity of these things yet

EDIT:
mine are 15s

rob's is an 18.

might or might not be relevant
ffmcloud

Post by ffmcloud »

Rob wrote:
Ya, but the Lemon won't event trigger the edge if you hit it at 45 degree angle, but all my Roland cymbals do.
That are also my experience with the CY-8
Disclaimer: I mostly played accoustic for the last years, and switched to electronic couple of weeks ago and my comparison with the CY-8 was just out of memory and no side by side test.
monospace wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:43 pm
How big of a deal is this in normal playing situations? I mean, I get incredibly irritated when a pad doesn't trigger consistently. Is it even fixable?
I like my Cymbals nearly flat/slightly tilted, causing hitting the Cymbal at about 45°, so it's a bit of an issue to me. I maybe get used to it, but for now it fells a bit off.
Maybe it triggers more consistant when they are more tilted towards you? I did not try this yet. Or maybe tweaking the velocity curve will help, too.

I was not able to dial it in perfectly yet, because we only rehearse 1 day the week for 3 hours. And I can't just go there to tweak it to "perfection".

I am pleased how the Bell and Bow triggers.

And the reviewer of the digital drummer test was also very pleased with the edge triggering. On your side I would trust his judging more then mine on this topic.
jacko wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:33 pm
Rob wrote:
And the way this Lemon is designed, hitting the edge on a 45 degree angle is going to eventually cause the rubber to split and rip.

[...]

this is not my impression at all but the only way we're really going to know is in a year or 3 when the edges do or do not start failing after prolonged use
Mine neither, but I am no heavy hitter, and no daily user
I have both the 15" and 18", and they are identical beside the size.
jacko

Post by jacko »

For anyone interested, I've uploaded a demo video of the 15" Lemon used as a hi hat with the FD9 pedal, eDRUMin, and SD3.

https://youtu.be/01f5nfgDlyU
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Here's a very rough drawing of a cross section of the edge of my Lemon 18". I'm going to avoid hitting the edge of the cymbal with the shank of my stick cause I get the feeling that the rubber in the "area of concern" will get damaged.
lemon18.png
lemon18.png (37.35 KiB) Viewed 1329 times