eDRUMin version 1.4 BETA now available

Rob
Site Admin

Re: eDRUMin version 1.4 BETA now available

Post by Rob »

It's actually intermittent on both Windows and macOS. It's firmware issue related to a change that I had made to try to prevent MIDI Expression devices from being detected as eDRUMin devices when plugged into the host port. I'll revert the change and find a fix for the MIDI Expression devices sometime down the road.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Changes in build 30
  • Fixed an issue in the last few builds that could prevent ED10 from properly detecting another eDRUMin in the USB Host port.
PC
https://www.audiofront.net/eDRUMin_Cont ... 4.0.30.zip

macOS
https://www.audiofront.net/eDRUMin_Cont ... 4.0.30.zip
monospace

Post by monospace »

Alas, another random crash. This is Build 26, with the new 20ft cable. Report attached.
edrumin_crashreport_030621.txt.zip
(17.09 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The crash indicates a stack overflow. You have to understand that the probability of data becoming corrupt increases with cable length. Even if just 1 bit flips from a 0 to a 1 or vice versa, that's enough to present the control application with invalid data that can cause a crash like this. I will try to add more safeguards to do deal with unexpected values in data packets, but I think the best solution is to follow the rules. Below is a webpage about maximum cable lengths and how to safely exceed them.

https://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cabl ... #usb2limit
monospace

Post by monospace »

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a 16ft Active USB 2.0 extension cable. Will see how that works out and report back.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
monospace

Post by monospace »

Rob wrote:Changes in build 30
  • Fixed an issue in the last few builds that could prevent ED10 from properly detecting another eDRUMin in the USB Host port.
Fix confirmed.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Dadwrshpdrum wrote:Crash report for 1.4.0.29. I was setting up a new note bank for a pad, and had just finished the head and SS notes. As soon as I left clicked RS the app crashed. When I reopened the app and went back to the rimshot note I was adjusting I think the note randomly changed to 19? Before it crashed I never got a chance to type anything in, and I don't believe it was at 19 to start. I set up a new note bank (#3) for one snare, and 5 tom pads. It only crashed that one time on the 3rd pad (out of 6).
So I was able to reproduce this crash three more times. The first time today (which I called crash 2, since it was basically the same from my original post) was unintentional and we again while I was doing a MIDI note edit. I thought I had picked up the steps to make it crash this time. I selected a MIDI note to edit, changed a note but didn't click off or enter or anything, then I triggered that zone. Crash occurred. When I opened the app again I made the MIDI note change and moved on. On the ride cymbal I was changing the bell MIDI note and I thought I would we see if I could make it crash again. Which I did. I selected the MIDI note for Bell, but changed nothing. I then triggered the bell zone several times no crash. I then changed the MIDI note, but didn't click off/enter/what have you, instead I immediately triggered the bell zone. The app crashed. So I was done at this point and I decided to get my task done and make the changes. On the last pad I was updating MIDI note for I tried it again, but I couldn't make it repeat.

However, just now I came back down to work on computer. I changed the snare drum (input 1) head MIDI note as before triggered the head and tried to make it crash. I even deleted the MIDI note and left it blank, but I still could not make it crash. Finally I hit Tom 1 head and the app crashed. I believe the snare drum MIDI note was still in a quasi editing state, or the action just before I hit Tom1 head was an edit of the MIDI note.
Attachments
crash reports 1.4.029.zip
(63.88 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Dadwrshpdrum wrote:
Dadwrshpdrum wrote:Crash report for 1.4.0.29. I was setting up a new note bank for a pad, and had just finished the head and SS notes. As soon as I left clicked RS the app crashed. When I reopened the app and went back to the rimshot note I was adjusting I think the note randomly changed to 19? Before it crashed I never got a chance to type anything in, and I don't believe it was at 19 to start. I set up a new note bank (#3) for one snare, and 5 tom pads. It only crashed that one time on the 3rd pad (out of 6).
So I was able to reproduce this crash three more times. The first time today (which I called crash 2, since it was basically the same from my original post) was unintentional and we again while I was doing a MIDI note edit. I thought I had picked up the steps to make it crash this time. I selected a MIDI note to edit, changed a note but didn't click off or enter or anything, then I triggered that zone. Crash occurred. When I opened the app again I made the MIDI note change and moved on. On the ride cymbal I was changing the bell MIDI note and I thought I would we see if I could make it crash again. Which I did. I selected the MIDI note for Bell, but changed nothing. I then triggered the bell zone several times no crash. I then changed the MIDI note, but didn't click off/enter/what have you, instead I immediately triggered the bell zone. The app crashed. So I was done at this point and I decided to get my task done and make the changes. On the last pad I was updating MIDI note for I tried it again, but I couldn't make it repeat.

However, just now I came back down to work on computer. I changed the snare drum (input 1) head MIDI note as before triggered the head and tried to make it crash. I even deleted the MIDI note and left it blank, but I still could not make it crash. Finally I hit Tom 1 head and the app crashed. I believe the snare drum MIDI note was still in a quasi editing state, or the action just before I hit Tom1 head was an edit of the MIDI note.
Confirmed. If editing a note and changing inputs, banks, or anything else that updates note note values with cause a crash on macOS. Fixed for the next build.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Mylo wrote:
Dadwrshpdrum wrote:
Rob wrote:Changes in build 29
  • Right-Clicking a note control will toggle notes/numbers for all note controls and setting is saved between sessions
First, this is major improvement and is very helpful. However, I don’t know what “saved between sessions” means. I changed from notes to number, and I went from every pad, pedal and note bank. Numbers remained the default everywhere, very nice. I assumed a session was closing the app and reopening. This did not work. Defaulted back to notes. However, I don’t think that is an issue for my own use case using a laptop.
The Windows version is working for me. When I start the app all the notes are numbers now.
Now the OS version of the app is remembering if MIDI note or number from the last session. Only thing I can tell that changed was some app crashes, but that could be just a coincidence.

Edit: I updated firmware to 1.4.0.30 and no change from my last session, which was MIDI numbers not notes. So I changed it back to notes, closed the app and reopened. The MIDI notes were number and not notes, therefore did not remember the last session. Next I changed the MIDI notes back to notes (not numbers) and triggered a crash via the issue Rob just identified. When I opened the app the MIDI notes were number again. So was not notes like the last session. This leads me to believe I had done or triggered something as I was editing some new note banks yesterday that happened to force the app to remember MIDI numbers not notes. Again not a major issue and I’m just happy with the change we already have.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Changes in build 31
  • Fixed a crash when editing a MIDI note while changing inputs.
  • Fixed an issue loading presets for ED4R2.
  • Update log will be copied to the desktop if an issue with updating firmware is detected.
PC
https://www.audiofront.net/eDRUMin_Cont ... 4.0.31.zip

macOS
https://www.audiofront.net/eDRUMin_Cont ... 4.0.31.zip