Quest for the ultimate Hi-hat "feel"

mprinz

Re: Quest for the ultimate Hi-hat "feel"

Post by mprinz »

Hi,

I finally finished my Hall sensor set up.
That's awesome, because you have NO mechanically moving, getting pressed or sliding parts.
I played a bit with the different magnet geometries and set it up using the "inverted" option.
When pressing the pedal the magnet travels away from the sensor, that sits right above the front pedal end.
That leads to a more realistic response, coming to higher CC04 values.
I have a 1"-2" travel range. That's not possible if you have to use the travel range of mechanical controllers.
Is it?

This is the corresponding thread:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=873#p5863

Setup:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

That's from the pedal feeling point of view.
The cymbal is just a HiHat pad from the Millenium MPS-850 kit.
And I am ok with it.

I will post another reply to the threat mentioned above, because I have some "issues" with inconsistent pedal notes,
maybe due to the long travel range?
I will check Rob's video again...
MisterE

Re: Quest for the ultimate Hi-hat "feel"

Post by MisterE »

Rotil66 wrote:Just created the most realistic e-Hihat I have ever played.
I always played my VH-12 thru a TD-12 to Superior drummer 3. But a few day's ago I received my eDrumin10 trigger convertor..... wow what a great device. Ran the pad of the VH-12 thru the ED10 that is capable of creating a bell trigger with this bell-sense option. (VH-12 has NO bell trigger !!!!) I set it as Dual trigger cymbal and took the CY-8 as bell sense option.
Now I can play all the bell, bow, edge, splash and shoke articulation of SD3. (about 25 or so). Tight, close to open....
I only had to run the Hihat Control thru the TD-12. (midi thu in the ED10) because the VH-12 happens to be one of the few devices having an issue with the ED10. But this workaround is splended.
Other hihat should be able to be controlled directly by the ED10.

Unbelievable great hihat......

Thanks for your post. Quick question - it seems you have done this:
VH-12 pad into the eDRUMin 10. Selected a CY-8 trigger preset. (That is - you aren't using a CY-8 cymbal as your hi hat pad, just the CY-8 preset.)
VH-12 controller into TD-12 hihat input. Then MIDI out from TD-12 to MIDI in of the eDRUMin 10.

So, the question is: when you strike the VH-12 cymbal pad, does the downward force of the impact of the hit affect the inertia of your VH-12 cymbal pad, even in the slightest, such that it slightly alters the intended CC4 value as you are playing it? Many of us have that complaint. If not, what hi hat stand are you using?