Snare throw off switch

MWJT42

Re: Snare throw off switch

Post by MWJT42 »

monospace wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:51 pm

Back to your question. You can indeed set up a macro to turn off all the bleeds in the Bottom Snare microphone. And you can assign this macro to a midi switch. But you will have to play your “snares off” snare as an X-Drum, because SD3 cannot swap out instruments on the fly with macros. If you use a dual switch on the eDrumIn, you could assign one switch to the SD3 macro. and the other to the midi mapping of your trigger.
Ok, so herein lies the solution.

Rob, can the bank change concurrently also send a midi command so we can swap banks AND tell SD3 to mute the snare bleed channel (using an assigned macro) and vice versa - maybe a pretend single switch is dual type scenario - I presume some soldering could achieve this mechanically?
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

OR can SD3 do more interesting things with MIDI macros...? Like note translation AND muting bleed channels...
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

MWJT42 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:29 pm
OR can SD3 do more interesting things with MIDI macros...? Like note translation AND muting bleed channels...
I’m no macro expert but I think you can have a macro do multiple things. You are basically writing a little script using the language of SD3. I know when I was playing around with an expression pedal I set a macro to change the tuning on six different drums.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I just tried Cantabile. Great stuff. For $69 you get hotpluggable MIDI devices, proper support for aftertouch, and you can change your entire drum setup with a Control Change message. Brilliant. Byebye Abelton Live.
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Haaaahaaa, yeah, Rob!!!

Me too! That's an awesome software and I want to mention it here, but ...
I just can emphasize Robs comment: Try it!!!

I would like to ask Mylo a question, because I saw, you are using a few "added instruments" in SD3:

I use several additional instruments for a sample pad (9 pads).
So, I recognized that I have to configure/save a preset for each library with that 9 instruments and then I could load those added instruments
via the Load Preset/Selected Parts option into a drumset of only that particular library.

Is there any way to make it easier?
I was thinking about taking a second instance, knowing that I may get into trouble when it comes to mixing.

Another story is the MIDI mapping, I now used the "alias" note ranges for extra instruments, but I have to map them for each library again and again.

Regards

Manuel
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

mprinz wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:13 pm
Haaaahaaa, yeah, Rob!!!

Me too! That's an awesome software and I want to mention it here, but ...
I just can emphasize Robs comment: Try it!!!

I would like to ask Mylo a question, because I saw, you are using a few "added instruments" in SD3:

I use several additional instruments for a sample pad (9 pads).
So, I recognized that I have to configure/save a preset for each library with that 9 instruments and then I could load those added instruments
via the Load Preset/Selected Parts option into a drumset of only that particular library.

Is there any way to make it easier?
I was thinking about taking a second instance, knowing that I may get into trouble when it comes to mixing.

Another story is the MIDI mapping, I now used the "alias" note ranges for extra instruments, but I have to map them for each library again and again.

Regards

Manuel
I’m afraid I can’t offer any advice here. I found a preset I like and that is all I play. I just don’t jump around from preset to preset.
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Oh.

For me that's what makes the whole eDrum thing so beautiful.
Just smashing the sticks into the heads like hell with the DarkMatter EZX and then
play some subtle ghost notes in an Porcupine Tree song and the UKPop EZX, followed by a
Genesis song using the rototoms of the Room of Hansa SDX. :roll:

Since I am not on a gig I could switch with the mouse, but ... it's so nice to push buttons and switches ...
monospace

Post by monospace »

There's definitely two different approaches to edrumming. I'm with Mylo: I've built my own preset and I'm continuously tweaking the hell out of it, making it sound the best it can be. Others love to switch between drum kits for every song or whenever the mood strikes. It's all good.
That said, I do have a couple of X-drums that I switch between, using footswitches connected to the edrumin. But then we're only talking about different percussion instruments for the BT-1, or switching the order of my racktoms, or enabling/disabling sidestick.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

Rob wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:26 am
I just tried Cantabile. Great stuff. For $69 you get hotpluggable MIDI devices, proper support for aftertouch, and you can change your entire drum setup with a Control Change message. Brilliant. Byebye Abelton Live.
Hi Rob,

The Cantabile user forum has great people on it and lots of solutions.
https://community.cantabilesoftware.com/

I've been using it since 2018 for keyboards. When I started I built two identical rigs so I could quickly swap out if things went south. I turned the second rig into my drum setup and play out on keyboards with just a keyboard controller, Lenovo x230 laptop (16GB RAM and 1TB SSD) and a Behringer UMC202HD. The software is rock solid

Doug
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

MWJT42 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:04 pm

Ok, so herein lies the solution.

Rob, can the bank change concurrently also send a midi command so we can swap banks AND tell SD3 to mute the snare bleed channel (using an assigned macro) and vice versa - maybe a pretend single switch is dual-type scenario - I presume some soldering could achieve this mechanically?
Wanting to revisit this; is there a way to wire a single switch to a dual-type, so eDRUMin thinks I've pressed 2 simultaneously? That way I can toggle both the snare instrument and a macro to mute snare bleed at the same time.

Or, is a software solution possible please Rob to have a midi command sent when a bank change occurs? There must be other use cases for this implementation...