review of Drum-tec pro 14" snare and Edrumin

MisterE

Re: review of Drum-tec pro 14" snare and Edrumin

Post by MisterE »

gkurtenbach wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:38 pm
Really interesting. I have the wooden snare but will try damping the rods.

Lalo brings up a good point that these snares work great without modification with Roland drum brains. It would be nice if that was possible. Or maybe adding damping is beneficial, regardless of drum brain, and drum-tec could add it to their product.
Perhaps Roland module trigger engines filter out unwanted resonant frequencies. If that's the case, I wonder if Rob can do the same.
gkurtenbach

Post by gkurtenbach »

Hmmm, I tried dampening the rods on my drum-tec pro wooden snare (14") and there didn't seem to be much of a difference if any. WIthout dampening PS seems to work ok and HS does work a little bit but it still feels more responsive with HS off.
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

Interesting discovery Rob. I’ll be following this. I have a home made 3D printed spoke style snare they I have some similar issues with. Might have to try this with some rubber I have lying around.

How are cross sticks and rim shot? Still sensitive?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

It seems that the 3-ply 'real feel' doesn't perform as well as a 2-ply head. I need to do some more research.
MisterE wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:32 pm
Perhaps Roland module trigger engines filter out unwanted resonant frequencies. If that's the case, I wonder if Rob can do the same.
That is almost certainly what is going on. The difficulty is that those same frequencies are important for HSS, and while filtering them out electronically will improve positional sensing, it will also prevent HSS from working.
AKA Wayne wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:47 pm
How are cross sticks and rim shot? Still sensitive?
Yes.
gkurtenbach

Post by gkurtenbach »

gkurtenbach wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:08 pm
Hmmm, I tried dampening the rods on my drum-tec pro wooden snare (14") and there didn't seem to be much of a difference if any. WIthout dampening PS seems to work ok and HS does work a little bit but it still feels more responsive with HS off.
Just realized that your snare, Rob, is also wood--sorry when you said "stainless steel" I thought you meant drum-tec's hand-hammered snares which seem to be metal. Ok, good, we have the same snares.

PS seems to be working with my snare with the real feel head. Otherwise, its stock with 25K resisters. I did tighten the head more than what was shipped to me.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

So I think I've got a solution that will get HSS and positional sensing working for this snare without the need for dampening, resistors, or changing drum heads. It involves adding a new control to the UI, so I need to make some room for it, but I should have something testable in a few days.
lalo

Post by lalo »

gkurtenbach wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:26 pm
gkurtenbach wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:08 pm
Just realized that your snare, Rob, is also wood--sorry when you said "stainless steel" I thought you meant drum-tec's hand-hammered snares which seem to be metal. Ok, good, we have the same snares.
No, it's not wood, it's made of steel like the hand hammered:
https://www.drum-tec.com/drum-tec-pro-s ... er=1004779
gkurtenbach

Post by gkurtenbach »

lalo wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:19 pm

No, it's not wood, it's made of steel like the hand hammered:
Really, the shell is steel? Wow, I just thought it was a stainless steel wrap in drum-tec's "pro" product line. Strikes me as a bad idea for a trigger since steel could have weird resonances. However, I guess if it works ok...

Anyway, it sounds like Rob is getting it sorted out.

Thanks!
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I posted build 25 in the BETA thread that has a new positional sensing control to help tame the drum-tec 14" snare. If any of you are already using the BETA, it would be great if you could test out the new control and see it helps you tame positional sensing and HSS. I still get a couple of bad spots where HSS is kicking in when it shouldn't be, but overall the playability is much improved.

There are now two controls for positional sensing. 'T' is positional sensing using the tip signal, and 'R' shown below uses information from the ring signal. When the meter falls into the orange rectangle, it forces positional sensing value to be at least 64, and also prevents hotspot suppression from being applied. Build 25 also has a factory preset called 'Drum-tec 14" snare (stainless)'.
image.png
image.png (5.45 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
gkurtenbach

Post by gkurtenbach »

Thanks Rob!

I tried build 25 with my drum-tec 14" wooden snare. Your factory preset had way too much gain for me (4.3!)--even moderate hits were at 127 and turning down the gain and playing with HS and PS T, I still couldn't get HS working much. Also, maybe there is a bug or something because I could change the note assignments.

However, I went back to my regular settings and got it working better with than without. Here's my approach.

- set position R setting so hits more than 3 inches from the center are in the red zone

- set HS threshold so light hits in the black zone don't break the threshold (but heavier hits trigger suppression)

-set the amount of suppression so that there still is a rise when you hit the center sensor tip but some suppression is happening

- adjust the head velocity curve to have a bit more gain to make up for suppression being applied.

This wasn't perfect, mainly its seems sometimes the PS is off, but it was very playable and nicer than not having any suppression. Here's my settings (second image shows the position tip setting):
image.png
image.png (174.21 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
image.png
image.png (170.4 KiB) Viewed 1335 times

BTW, Here's the factory preset that wouldn't work for me.
image.png
image.png (179.59 KiB) Viewed 1335 times