eDRUMin version 2 Alpha

Rob
Site Admin

Re: eDRUMin version 2 BETA

Post by Rob »

In the early stages, the fixes need to come fast... especially when they are show stoppers. It helps that I have my build process fairly automated.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

hang12 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:05 pm
Single channel Drum Maps will be just fine for others and I think it is a very useful direction, but it would not be a full implementation of what I had in mind (basically -> snapshots of all of the input's trigger MIDI channel/MIDI note/MIDI CC (where applicable) per articulation assignments - as per the right side box info). That's my version of an ideal drum map where MIDI channel is a given per note, not a global. thanks.
It might even be a good idea to scrap the MIDI Channel setting for drum maps altogether--less confusing that way.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Updated to build 6...

Fixes...
  • Pedal Editor MIDI Channel was displaying the wrong value.
  • MIDI Monitor was not accessible for ED4 devices.
  • Changing the MIDI Channel from the pedal editor was not updating the drum map MIDI channel.
hang12

Post by hang12 »

Rob wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:03 am
It might even be a good idea to scrap the MIDI Channel setting for drum maps altogether--less confusing that way.
Sometimes it's worth flying a banner behind a plane for people to shoot at.
Not sure what you're planning to scrap but to play a MIDI note you have to have a MIDI channel in the same message.
It's late here where I live, and tomorrow will be looking for new builds - cheers and thanks!
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

hang12 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:15 am
Sometimes it's worth flying a banner behind a plane for people to shoot at.
Not sure what you're planning to scrap but to play a MIDI note you have to have a MIDI channel in the same message.
I mean maybe I should just scrap the idea of drum maps defining a separate MIDI channel, and instead just use the channel setting that's already associated with the input--which is what I've effectively done with the 'disable map channel' setting.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

I use an x-hat on right hand side of kit. The input and pedal on ED10. My left hand HH is on the ED4, and is a VH13. I use a stereo headphone splitter (TRS to two TRS jacks) to connect the VH13 to both hH inputs. Prior to V2 I had the ED10 (xhat) CC and pedal notes set to a random unused midi channel. In V2 I noticed for CC4 to work on the xhat I had to set to MIDI channel 10. No big deal except now I have two duplicate pedal notes. Note: if have the option selected to send CC only when hit. Not sure what changed in V2 that impacted my set up, but a simple fix would be the ability to turn off pedal notes. Similar to turning off cymbal choke notes. The MIDI log BTW is really nice.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

With version 2, there's no need for your splitter cable. If your hihat cymbals are connected to the save device, both cymbals can be set to 'Hihat 1 Cymbal' and have their notes controlled by the same hihat controller. In version 2 you can have as many hihat cymbals as you want, all controlled by the same hihat controller.

I like the MIDI Log, too. It's how I can debug everything.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Rob wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:47 pm
With version 2, there's no need for your splitter cable. If your hihat cymbals are connected to the save device, both cymbals can be set to 'Hihat 1 Cymbal' and have their notes controlled by the same hihat controller. In version 2 you can have as many hihat cymbals as you want, all controlled by the same hihat controller.

I like the MIDI Log, too. It's how I can debug everything.
Thanks for the info. I did try this, and I got intermittent results. It didn't seem like the CC4 was very well linked between the ED4 and ED10. I also noticed that ED10 and HH 1 and HH 2, but ED4 had only HH. So I set ED4 to HH and ED10 to HH 1. I also turned off only send CC when hit. Lastly, crash report. When I selected the ED10 HH (the x hat) Drum Kit Pieces (when it was HH 1) the app crashed. Once it came back I left it on HH 1.

(update - and what I mean back linked very well is that the ED4 has smooth CC controls. This is the unit with the VH13 connected. The X-hat on ED10 does not have smooth CC.)

2nd update: the ED10 pad pedal input 1 is greyed out, because nothing is now connected. However, splash sense shows pedal travel, however the travel shows no pedal travel. Not sure how it is supposed to look. The lagging seems to be tied to the articulation changes (in SD3 on xhat) when I trigger a pedal note.
Attachments
V2 beta HH drum kit piece crash.zip
(20.66 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
hang12

Post by hang12 »

build 6 2/5/22 - I’m struggling to grok the overall architecture of the drum maps. I’ve read the beginning v2 description of this thread a number of times…but still I am lost. Sorry in advance for the length of what follows here, but this is (~alpha?) beta testing, and I'm probably not covering half of all that I encountered. I definitely appreciate the work that you're putting in, Rob.

Kind of initial rambling thru the interface here's some questions/experiences...
So, it seems like there are three input note assignment layers: one is ‘Notes’ which is like v1.6, and then the other two are Drum Map mode layers - one being kind of an individual edit in place for inputs with the drum map kit piece ‘DMKP’ function, and the other being a drum map editor that one gets an overview of all pieces, but won’t be assigned anywhere until it is instantiated/opened? Is this correct?

Is there a way to capture my current assignments for what is my very last v1.6 note assignments into a user Drum Map? How do I do that step by step?
If I have two eDRUMin10’s it is a different method?

When I first open up the v2 app, ‘Superior Drummer Map’ is default map shown. So for the heck of it I tried to create and save a drum map preset and called it ‘my first map’. It showed up in the list, I double clicked it and it then showed up as ‘my first map’ in the upper right hand box. I then clicked on an input icon for the 2nd eDRUMin10 I have and ‘Superior Drummer Map’ showed up. So - if I have two devices are there two (or more) maps currently open or in place? What map applies to what?

So, going from input to input and toggling between the DMKP and Note banks functions, there seems to be a slew of different icons displayed in the upper input boxes that do various things according to either note bank assignment or previous 1.6 assignment or I’m not sure. But it seems like it would be easier to comprehend if Drum Map Kit Piece -or- Note Banks were global modes, and toggled between the two view aspects, rather than a mixed bag. The icons are familiar but like if my BT-1 icon shows up in one mode, but is a snare icon in the other mode, I can’t quickly figure out what is what for any given bank of 10 inputs, that are mixed mode.
Also, having to ‘one by one’ toggle each of them between layers is quite tedious…

When I clicked on my BT-1 XStick input for one of my two BT-1 inputs, and then Drum Map Kit Piece, the icon and name became a Snare. When I go back to Note Banks, it’s a BT-1 icon. Ok, is this because it works according to the SD Map which was showing at the time?

Is there a xstick icon available or does it have to show a Snare, or PD-125 mesh sort of icon?

Aesthetically I think the black or very dark gray cymbals are too black (dark) in the DMKP area.

Upgrading problem:
1) device icon color not kept, when upgrading to 2.0 from 1.6

2) the 2nd eDRUMin10 did not show that it needed a firmware update ('!' next to chip) until about 20 minutes into looking through things (It showed up when I was looking at the ‘external MIDI’ window view). Although I clicked on it earlier, and before updating it decided to change the color and maybe that side-stepped the ‘!’ alert.
I got the prompt “you have unsaved settings that will be lost Do you want to continue?” I clicked OK and nothing happened other than OK turned more green (sat there highlighted). I clicked cancel and ‘Cancel’ turned more yellow (highlighted), but nothing happened again. Frozen black screen. I clicked the upper left quit button and exited.
When I re-opened to see if the firmware was updated it said it was, on both devices. But there was never any 0-100% type of updating activity, like in v1.6 for either/both devices. I didn't trust it...

So I quit. Deleted v2 app. Installed/Re-loaded v1.6. Went through the firmware updating on both and things went fine. Still needed to update the icon color (ok, not a big deal, just pointing it out).

Other:
Device 2’s MIDI is not showing up in the MIDI monitor.

Note: I didn't bother to listen to the triggering of audio to see if the v1.6 assignments were in place. I was trying to focus first on navigation.
If you could instruct on how to save my current assignments as a drum map which I could then edit/morph/save into other maps, and also explain how to ensure that my current v1.6 assignments will trigger in whatever mode I need to be in (globally or individually or both) I'd appreciate it.
Step by step details would be awesome, thanks.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Dadwrshpdrum wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:33 pm
Thanks for the info. I did try this, and I got intermittent results. It didn't seem like the CC4 was very well linked between the ED4 and ED10. I also noticed that ED10 and HH 1 and HH 2, but ED4 had only HH. So I set ED4 to HH and ED10 to HH 1. I also turned off only send CC when hit. Lastly, crash report. When I selected the ED10 HH (the x hat) Drum Kit Pieces (when it was HH 1) the app crashed. Once it came back I left it on HH 1.
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. The cymbals pad need to be on the ED4 or on the ED10. They can't be on separate devices.
Dadwrshpdrum wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:33 pm
2nd update: the ED10 pad pedal input 1 is greyed out, because nothing is now connected. However, splash sense shows pedal travel, however the travel shows no pedal travel. Not sure how it is supposed to look. The lagging seems to be tied to the articulation changes (in SD3 on xhat) when I trigger a pedal note.
That's a bug. It's fixed in the next build.