ATV EXS-5 recommended settings?

jayal

ATV EXS-5 recommended settings?

Post by jayal »

I am new to this forum and the exciting world of eDRUMin ;-). This, after I decided to finally ditch my now ancient DDRUM4 SE set to move to a new setup using only VST drums (e.g. Superior Drummer 3) using eDRUMin10 connected to a new module-less kit. The eDRUMin10 is ordered already, and I am now considering an ATV EXS-5 drumset (without module) to control it.

I've searched through the forum and I understand that some people have been successful in getting the ATV pads to work well with eDRUMin. If you have successful results with this combo I would really appreciate it if you could share your eDRUMin settings for ATV cymbals, hihat, and mesh pads (snare, toms, kick). Thanks a lot!
Last edited by jayal on Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perceval

Re: ATV EXS-5 recommended settings?

Post by perceval »

ATV users will surely chime in, but ATV uses an array of piezo in their drum pads, and I'm not sure how the eDrumin fares with that setup.

If you are looking at real drum size kit, and would like to trigger with the eDrumin, may I suggest looking into Diamond Percussions?
Dave has an eDrumin to test his kits over there, plus you get to choose the looks of your own kit.
Not affiliated in any ways to the company, but I know they offer top notch kits, and they look gorgeous. I just like to pass the info.
jayal

Post by jayal »

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

Still welcome further feedback on the ATV EXS-5 though. I think the biggest question is whether proper positional sensing and rim-shots on the ATV snare/tom pads will work properly through eDRUMin given the ATV piezo setup. Any feedback on this is highly appreciated!
Nedjma974

Post by Nedjma974 »

Hello,
I would also be interested in a review of how eDrumin works with the exs 5.
I just ordered one (exs 5) and to compensate for the lack of settings of the xD3 module I would have liked to take an eDrumin but there is not a lot of information on how it works together, for example if I could with the eDrumin use the rims of my ATV pads?
All information on this combo is welcome!
Thank you.
whoisjb

Post by whoisjb »

eDRUMin_ATV_Presets.zip[/attachment]Hey, I'm using the ATV expanded aDrums Artist series drums. I have the 13" snare, two 10" toms, two 13" floor toms, and the 18" bass drum. I have the ATV 14" hats, two 16" crashes, and an 18" ride which all have 360 triggering and choking. I'm really happy after some adjustments and some help from Rob with the results I'm getting with triggering Superior Drummer 3.0. I previously triggered SD3.0 with a Roland TD-20 module and kit I purchased as their flagship back in 2007. Frankly, overall I'm much happier with the ATV / eDRUMin combo. The lack of hotspots having the sensors around the edge makes a huge difference. The ride bell is way more sensitive where I bang on the Roland CY13R to get a decent sound from the bell. The hats with the optical sensor is also more accurate. My only complaint with the hats is they have more acoustic volume, especially when you open and close them. I also wish the snare had positional sensing but that's the trade off I guess when you get rid of the center sensor. However, I appreciate the side stick triggering and find it more accurate and realistic feeling than the Roland. With all that said, I'm more than happy to export my eDRUMin 10 settings and share with you as a starting point. I've not done that before being new to the module but will post something as soon as I do the export.

[attachment=0]

I just added an attachment with my presets and I included a screenshot of my setup since I'm running my kick and floor tom with a splitter cable into a single input. I also have a Roland BT-1 mounted on my snare I use to trigger a cowbell or tambourine.
Attachments
eDRUMin_ATV_Presets.zip
(266.03 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Last edited by whoisjb on Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nedjma974

Post by Nedjma974 »

Thank you for the feedback and the offer to share your settings for new users of the atv / eDrumin combo (like me soon). It is sure that this will help to have a solid starting point.
For positional sensing, I read in a forum that addictiv drums 2 had a CC message inversion function, which would make it possible to benefit from positional sensing with side sensors ...
I have not yet received my ATV exs 5 (being delivered to my island ...) so I could not try.
whoisjb

Post by whoisjb »

I will have to see if anything like that might exist for SD3.0. Would be interesting to try but so far I'm not missing the positional sensing much on the snare.
Nedjma974

Post by Nedjma974 »

Hello,
I find this video with positional sensing and multiple side triggers :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OvPPA8St0o

Rob, you think is possible to make this on a ATV snare pad with eDrumin ? The PS, in the video, come from the Roland module.
whoisjb

Post by whoisjb »

Interesting but wish he didn't just demonstrate but get into the settings he used to make it work instead.
Nedjma974 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:34 pm
Hello,
I find this video with positional sensing and multiple side triggers :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OvPPA8St0o

Rob, you think is possible to make this on a ATV snare pad with eDrumin ? The PS, in the video, come from the Roland module.
DC1970

Post by DC1970 »

whoisjb wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:11 pm
eDRUMin_ATV_Presets.zip[/attachment]Hey, I'm using the ATV expanded aDrums Artist series drums. I have the 13" snare, two 10" toms, two 13" floor toms, and the 18" bass drum. I have the ATV 14" hats, two 16" crashes, and an 18" ride which all have 360 triggering and choking. I'm really happy after some adjustments and some help from Rob with the results I'm getting with triggering Superior Drummer 3.0. I previously triggered SD3.0 with a Roland TD-20 module and kit I purchased as their flagship back in 2007. Frankly, overall I'm much happier with the ATV / eDRUMin combo. The lack of hotspots having the sensors around the edge makes a huge difference. The ride bell is way more sensitive where I bang on the Roland CY13R to get a decent sound from the bell. The hats with the optical sensor is also more accurate. My only complaint with the hats is they have more acoustic volume, especially when you open and close them. I also wish the snare had positional sensing but that's the trade off I guess when you get rid of the center sensor. However, I appreciate the side stick triggering and find it more accurate and realistic feeling than the Roland. With all that said, I'm more than happy to export my eDRUMin 10 settings and share with you as a starting point. I've not done that before being new to the module but will post something as soon as I do the export.

[attachment=0]

I just added an attachment with my presets and I included a screenshot of my setup since I'm running my kick and floor tom with a splitter cable into a single input. I also have a Roland BT-1 mounted on my snare I use to trigger a cowbell or tambourine.
Just received my eDrumin 10 and wouldn't mind checking out your settings. How do I import them to my unit?