Power Off

mprinz

Power Off

Post by mprinz »

Dear community,
dear Rob,

maybe a strange question:

What are you guys doing:
Power off your eDrumIn device by unplug the usb jack or do you just leave it powered on.

I am sometimes finding to have a bit more latency when the edrumin is on for hours because the computer is on. Or having trouble with the Auto Display...

I ordered a usb hub with switches.
What do you recommend?

Greetings

Manuel
perceval

Re: Power Off

Post by perceval »

Mine is always plugged in.

But I shut down the computer until I need it again.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

Mine are plugged directly into the computer and the computer is turned off when not playing. I assume that cuts the power to the devices. I find when I leave Windows running it wants to do things while I’m not there and when I come back to play it seems it has to wake up and pay attention to me so to speak. So now I just turn it off. It boots in like 10 seconds and within 30 seconds I have SD3 up and running and ready to go.
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

I have a d-link 4 port powered hub and my lenovo monitor plugged into a power strip mounted on my stand. I tap a button on the keyboard that puts the laptop to sleep and I flip the powerstrip off. It takes about 15 seconds for the laptop to power down and 30 seconds to restart and load Cantabile with Superior Drummer. I restart the laptop a couple of times a week.

Rob can probably comment on this but I'm guessing 2 eDRUMin's on for a year would be equal to leaving a light on for a few minutes.

I sit down at the drums - tap the keyboard to wake the laptop and start playing in seconds
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Hi,

I am not asking because of the power consumption, but with regard to some - you know - eDrumIn memory hiccups or any other dysfunction.
Usually our computer is started in morning and runs until midnight. And so do the 2 eDrumIns.
Maybe those effects are due to interaction with the whole system: plug in and out other USB devices, other drummodules in this case, USB sticks etc.
Windows drivers ... you know.

It's not a big issue, probably it is not an issue with the eDrumIn.
But, I there anyone who observed some effects when leaving the edrumin powered all day long.
If there had been an effect, Rob would have installed a pushbutton.
What about the lifetime ...

I decided to use a hub with power switches, so I can power off my eDrumIn when the desktop comuter is running.
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

Since it takes less than a minute to restart my laptop sometimes I do that if anything seems amiss. The eDRUMin's stay powered on and the computer restart always clears things up (I think sleep mode sometimes causes Superior Drummer problems). The only time I power cycle the eDRUMin's is when I've unplugged my DIY Hall Effect unit on the hi-hat stand. That seems to confuse the pedal input after I plug it back in (it reacts but doesn't close).

Maybe I should troubleshoot that sometime with Rob when he isn't busy :D :D