eDRUMin version 2 BETA

Rob
Site Admin

Re: eDRUMin version 2 BETA

Post by Rob »

While I don't plan to work on it for a while, here's a UI mockup for the remapping idea (for version 2.1) and a description of how it might work.
image.png
image.png (66.27 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
Technical Speak
If an external device is set to remap, the map would be used to associate incoming MIDI notes with kit piece IDs. Then based on the eDRUMins main map (the one that's already preset in version 2.0), the notes would get remapped before going to the computer.

Likewise, when MIDI is being sent to an external device that is set to remap, the eDRUMin would use the kit piece IDs to translate the notes before sending them to the device.

Practical Example
Let's imagine an ED10 with a Roland Digital ride connected to the USB host port and a Mimic Pro connected to the MIDI Din ports. The ED10 is connected to a computer running SD3. The ED10's main drum map is set to SD3. The Digital ride is set to the Roland Map and the MIDI Din port is set to the Mimic Pro map.

The following would be possible:
  • Aftertouch messages from Roland Ride would be converted to choke notes before being sent to the Mimic Pro.
  • Changing the the main drum map would allow you to trigger different software applications without affecting the MIDI that the Mimic sees.
I haven't totally thought this through, so if you have any questions or concerns about something I may be overlooking, please comment.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Rob wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:45 pm
Dadwrshpdrum wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:45 pm
Pleasantly I discovered for a ride cymbal when I set to choke the choke midi note worked, and the control change message was sent as well using the same midi note. I wasn’t expecting that, because I thought (maybe incorrectly that you could only have one or the other, not both). So all I had to do in SD3 was remap the ride’s positional sensing CC to the same midi note as the choke. Worked great.
You think this is a bug that I shouldn't fix?

Quick answer: no I don’t think it needs to change.

Longer answer / rationale: first, how I set this up. I have several cymbals but only my CY-15R ride has positional sensing on. All other cymbals have positional sensing set to off (greyed out). When I started only the ride cymbal in the drum map had POS set to 18. The others I believe were POS in the drum map editor, but the MIDI note was 0 (I think).

In the drum map editor I first set the POS midi note to the desired note. I saved the drum map and loaded the drum map to all devices. I think went back to the pad editor and I couldn’t figure out how to turn choke on. So I went back to drum map editor and I discovered by clicking on POS text box it toggled to choke. I saved the drum map once again and loaded it to all devices. This still did not work. This is the suspected bug. I noticed that the pad editor still showed POS instead of choke. So I went back to the drum map editor and changed it one more time. This time (the 2nd time using the same procedure) the choke toggle was retained. I did this on at least 4 cymbals and this happened every time.

So it makes sense to me, if a pad is a drum kit piece, that toggling from POS to CHOKE in the drum map editor is how to turn on or off a choke midi note. My only compliant was I had to save the change twice to make it stick.

It also makes sense to me that if choke is toggled on via the drum map editor then positional sensing CC messages are toggled off or on via pad editor by disabling positional sensing. With SD3 I didn’t have an issue with changing the CC midi note to something other than 17 or 18, whatever the Roland standard is for ride cymbals. I don’t think it really messes something up.

FYI the strange V1 midi note (greater than 127) is not just the CC message but also the choke midi note as well.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Superfish

Post by Superfish »

Rob wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:44 pm
There should be a file called MEC_log.txt on your desktop. Can you email it to support at audiofront dot net?
Thanks Rob, the recovery just worked perfect, so back in business👍😊
lalo

Post by lalo »

the mimic pro edge note is still 61 on build 41 and edrumin 4, it should be 67
mimic note.jpg
mimic note.jpg (124.64 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Thanks. I had fixed it for Levels Mode but forgot about CC mode. Next build.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Been working on this for the past week or so--it was a lot harder than I thought. It's a function that will minimize the noise floor for each input instead of the current one size fits all approach. If you have some inputs that are registering a high noise floor, this function will take care of the problem.
image.png
image.png (43.67 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

That sounds great. Thank you!

Rob, I did not go through the whole thread, maybe that was already mentioned:

When I click an the input setting preset manager, there is no date shown in the meta data panel.
Even when browsing through the presets. When I click on a device or input or pedal icon
the date of the presets is displayed.

Greetings
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Fixed.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Rob wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 1:12 am
While I don't plan to work on it for a while, here's a UI mockup for the remapping idea (for version 2.1) and a description of how it might work.
image.png

Technical Speak
If an external device is set to remap, the map would be used to associate incoming MIDI notes with kit piece IDs. Then based on the eDRUMins main map (the one that's already preset in version 2.0), the notes would get remapped before going to the computer.

Likewise, when MIDI is being sent to an external device that is set to remap, the eDRUMin would use the kit piece IDs to translate the notes before sending them to the device.

Practical Example
Let's imagine an ED10 with a Roland Digital ride connected to the USB host port and a Mimic Pro connected to the MIDI Din ports. The ED10 is connected to a computer running SD3. The ED10's main drum map is set to SD3. The Digital ride is set to the Roland Map and the MIDI Din port is set to the Mimic Pro map.

The following would be possible:
  • Aftertouch messages from Roland Ride would be converted to choke notes before being sent to the Mimic Pro.
  • Changing the the main drum map would allow you to trigger different software applications without affecting the MIDI that the Mimic sees.
I haven't totally thought this through, so if you have any questions or concerns about something I may be overlooking, please comment.
My thoughts on this potential feature.

For incoming MIDI notes how does the eDRUMin app now how to remap those incoming midi notes to whatever the drum map specifies? Currently the drum map works by defining an eDRUMin input as a kit piece, so will it be the same idea for incoming MIDI, but the incoming midi note is assigned a kit piece?

Just wondering how is remap different from the midi transformer found in the other device, midi expression?

At first when this idea was posted I was going to use to remap TD-17 triggers into something that worked for my set up. However, I recently purchased and set up a second ED4 so I no longer use any TD-17 triggers. Let me explain, I normally use VSTs, but I listened to some custom packs from eDRUMWORKSHOP and I liked a couple for a my TD-17 module I use from time to time. I really liked the eDRUMWORKSHOP house kit, but that kit uses just about every rim zone for extra cymbals or other instruments. So the issue I had was that the Crash 2 and Aux inputs for Td-17 that I normally used for cymbals were being used for a side snare and something else on the house kit. So using this feature I could use the Td-17 to trigger the cymbals like normal, but return remapped midi notes that matches the actual set up for the complicated (and pretty awesome) eDRUMWORKSHOP custom kit. Since then I have resolved the issue by moving all triggers to eDRUMin units.

Now, the way I seeing this being useful that I can a map for eDRUMin to laptop/VST and assign a different drum map to the TD-17. Currently I can only play either the SD3 drum maps I have or the TD-17 drum map, not both.

I’m sure there are even more ways to use this feature, thanks for soliciting feedback.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Post version 2.0.1.0
  • Added Noise Floor calibration tool.
  • Code cleaning.
  • Fixed a bunch minor and obscure bugs.