eDRUMin version 2 BETA

lalo

Re: eDRUMin version 2 BETA

Post by lalo »

How are you using it with the mimic pro?
MisterE

Post by MisterE »

lalo wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:29 am
How are you using it with the mimic pro?
Quite simply, I connected the 5-pin DIN MIDI OUT from the eDRUMin 10 directly into the MIDI IN of the Mimic Pro. I have my ATV kit pieces filling the 10 inputs of the eDRUMin10: kick, snare, BT-1 for the snare side stick, tom 1, tom 2, tom 3, hi hat, ride, crash 1, crash 2.
(I will use a splitter for the side stick and kick when I add another cymbal). Incidentally, since I have a dedicated BT-1 for the snare side stick, I set the snare rim and rim shot note number to the Mimic's rim shot sound. The one part of the kit that, to me, is most difficult to trigger reliably is a snare rim shot. By setting the side stick and rim shot to the same rim shot note number, no matter how I hit the snare rim, whether or not perfectly with the snare head, I get a rim shot. It seems a bit like cheating, but it can be frustrating to hit both seemingly well, but only get a rim sound

The hi hat I am currently using is a CY-5 and an FD-9, which I implemented with V1.6 and migrated over to V2. I know this may seem like I'm using "low end" components, but I also have a VH-10 and an ATV hi hat, and I tried both with an Iron Cobra hi hat stand, but nothing beats separating the foot controller mechanically from the cymbal. I am amazed at how well the FD-9 works with the new hi hat controller functionality of the eDRUMin and the Mimic now. I have been able to dial in with perfection exactly how I want the overall hi hat performance to emulate an acoustic hi hat throughout the entire foot pedal range. I am amazed at how the Mimic now responds. WIth other input devices (including the ATV and Roland VH10), and even with exhausting the Mimic's built-in hi hat trigger pedal settings, nothing whatsoever compares to the FD-9/eDRUMin combination in my opinion, and I have spent days (literally 10's of hours) tweaking every combination of VH-10, FD-7, ATV optical you could imagine. The challenge comes down to this: Because of the mechanical connection between the trigger cymbal and the pedal, any hitting of the cymbal while manipulating the position of the pedal will interfere with (albeit minutely) the pedal position. It's a mere matter of physics. I have yet to go back to the VH-10 or ATV hat with eDRUMin V2, but I will try that and let you know how that works out. I understand that the improvements in the V2 hi hat pedal implementation will provide benefit to that combination. However, I don't believe I will see the full benefit that separating the cymbal from the pedal controller provides.

Regarding the FD-9 I will admit, it took me awhile to warm up to the FD-9's mechanical feel. It's spongy towards the bottom of its travel, by design, to be quiet. However, the control that the eDRUMin provides is a game changer and I was able to get the overall pedal feel to where I wanted it mechanically. I had considered adding a solid rubber stop under the FD-9 footboard to provide a more solid feel, but no longer feel that's necessary.

Is this the info you were looking for?

MisterE
lalo

Post by lalo »

Yeah, I was wondering how the hihat works via midi to the mimic, it’s always tricky to get it right via midi only but thanks for the info. I’m using an atv 14 hihat with my edrumin10 and it’s definitely the most realistic triggering for me right now.
MisterE

Post by MisterE »

lalo wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:28 pm
Yeah, I was wondering how the hihat works via midi to the mimic, it’s always tricky to get it right via midi only but thanks for the info. I’m using an atv 14 hihat with my edrumin10 and it’s definitely the most realistic triggering for me right now.
"...it’s always tricky to get it right via midi only...."
That part is no longer true thanks to the eDRUMin which offers more hi hat customization and optimization than the Mimic does itself. That's a game-changer!!!
lalo

Post by lalo »

So you don’t touch the hihat settings on the mimic at all? Only on the edrumin? I thought you still needed to calibrate the hihat on the mimic even if you’re using midi in and have the hihat connected to the edrumin
MisterE

Post by MisterE »

lalo wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:44 pm
So you don’t touch the hihat settings on the mimic at all? Only on the edrumin? I thought you still needed to calibrate the hihat on the mimic even if you’re using midi in and have the hihat connected to the edrumin
No touching of the Mimic at all in regards to the hi hat. MIDI takes care of it all, and as I said, the eDRUMin provides BETTER control of the hihat's function than the Mimic provides to itself. It's a welcome fact. Try it. If you have an eDRUMin and a Mimic, I'll happily share my preset.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I posted build 31
  • Fixed 'Abby' typo.
  • Added a swap bell/edge button for Yamaha 3-zone ride.
  • Fixed hihat notes are editable when hihat pedal is set 'Hihat Kit Piece, hihat pedal is set to 'Hihat Kit Piece', and using 'Hihat CC Mode'.
I also made a video about using Drum Maps.
https://youtu.be/8HSVZmy1H78
Superfish

Post by Superfish »

Brilliant video Rob. ;)
i finally going to update to this new beta version, but do i still have to use the back of the eDrumin for my hihat control input?
or is this obsolve now?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Hihat controllers must connect to the back. Hihat controllers and piezoa need different circuitry and that's never going to change.
andurillek

Post by andurillek »

Yahama fixed on Yanaha ...?... :D Come on, we all know it's Yamaha ... :D