Question about MIDI Expression

amundsen

Question about MIDI Expression

Post by amundsen »

Hello,

I would like to know if the device can send high resolution MIDI messages (with 10, 12 or 14bit resolution), possibly using two MIDI CC numbers.

Thank you.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Question about MIDI Expression

Post by Rob »

No, it can't. Early on I made the decision not to support NRPN. The reason is simple. The signals coming from potentiates just aren't stable enough; there's just too much noise. While I could design the device to output 10bit numbers, pedals would still only have about 7 bits worth of real resolution after the noise is filtered out, so there would be no improvement in resolution.

The only situation when higher bit resolutions could be useful is with using endless rotary encoders. Currently they aren't supported however, so there's really no need.
stub

Re: Question about MIDI Expression (High Resolution)

Post by stub »

I'm just gonna chime in as I too was hoping for high resolution capability.

I understand the issue with pots and stability. I have a couple precision pots that are 3-turn pots. I also have some force sensing resistors that have a different kind of range and resolution than a typical pot. I think some sliders can have a little more stability as well.

But I get that you have to make a call about typical use cases. I still really like your product (MIDI Expression) and love all the added features you've added via configuration.

I'm still on the fence though. I was going to build something, but I'm in way over my head.