MIDI Expression USB Compatibility

gustebeast

MIDI Expression USB Compatibility

Post by gustebeast »

I am trying to figure out a way to connect my TRS expression pedal (active pedal that provides its own voltage) to my effects processor (H9000) via MIDI USB. The H9000 supports using TRS directly but there's a bug which makes it unusable for me. The MIDI Expression I/O in standalone mode using DIN would definitely work, but I'd prefer to avoid the extra power supply.

Unfortunately, the engineers over at Eventide don't know if the standard MIDI Expression would be compatible, but they do know that a pedal like this would work https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... sion-pedal

So if that pedal works over USB, would that imply that the MIDI Expression would as well? Do they use the same protocol?
Rob
Site Admin

Re: MIDI Expression USB Compatibility

Post by Rob »

I suspect you can plug any MIDI expression directly into the USB host port of the H9000 and it will work fine. For me the biggest unknown is if MIDI expression will work with your active volume pedal. Do you have a model number for it?
gustebeast

Post by gustebeast »

Here's the manual
https://www.telonics.com/products/proau ... Manual.pdf
Wiring follows industry standard protocol:
Tip = Expression Voltage (Linear) Output (0 - 5 VDC)
Ring = DC Voltage input from external EFX units (However External Voltage is Not Used by FP-100)
Sleeve = Common DC Ground
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

It may work, but it might not. MIDI Expression expects 0->3.3V. While I doubt the over voltage would damage the MIDI Expression, it's not ideal. Does the pedal allow you to adjust it's output voltage range?
gustebeast

Post by gustebeast »

Looks like it is configurable!
gustebeast

Post by gustebeast »

Got the MIDI Expression today and can confirm it works flawlessly with the H9000.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Great. Thanks for the feedback.