Presales question

Audioproduction

Re: Presales question

Post by Audioproduction »

Hi,
I received the unit and did some tests with firmware 2.9.3.13.
Using the transformer, I can successfully transpose Value 2 (velocity) of Note On/Off messages which meets my need. I did notice that the minimum transposed value for Value 2 is “1” while it is “0” for Value 1. Here is the use case:
Insert.jpg

Initial Value 1 of 15 will be transformed to 0
Initial value 2 of 15 will be transformed to 1

Having a minimum value of 0 for velocity would be better since some keyboard don’t transmit Note On message at very light touch. I’m aware that a Note On message with a velocity of 0 is interpreted as Note Off but that should not be a problem. Having a 0-127 value range when transforming Value 2 would also be consistent with the behavior for Value 1.

Another transformer enhancement that is probably more effort to develop is to assign distinct transformer instance per midi port or pedal input. The total number of transformer instances could remain at 3 but in example it would be possible to assign instance 1 to the DIN midi port to process a specific message type while instance 2 would be assigned to the USB midi port to process another message types.

This is really a great product that can handle many needs.
Audioproduction

Sorry, the screen shot doesn't appear in the reply:
Insert.jpg
Insert.jpg (13.29 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Audioproduction wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:15 pm
Having a minimum value of 0 for velocity would be better since some keyboard don’t transmit Note On message at very light touch. I’m aware that a Note On message with a velocity of 0 is interpreted as Note Off but that should not be a problem. Having a 0-127 value range when transforming Value 2 would also be consistent with the behavior for Value 1.
I disagree. I think if note on messages were effectively turned into Note Off messages, that would be weird. I was careful to ensure that if the velocity was already 0, it wouldn't bump it up to 1. What I didn't do, and probably should have, is to allow CC values to go down to 0.
Audioproduction wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:15 pm
Another transformer enhancement that is probably more effort to develop is to assign distinct transformer instance per midi port or pedal input. The total number of transformer instances could remain at 3 but in example it would be possible to assign instance 1 to the DIN midi port to process a specific message type while instance 2 would be assigned to the USB midi port to process another message types.
I see what you are saying. There should probably be transformer routing icons for each instance. I don't think there's any unused memory for that, so I would have to make space.
Audioproduction

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the fast reply.

Having a minimal value of 1 for Note On/Off velocity is fine for rescaling. For CC messages, Value 2 must be able to go down to 0 in some use cases.

The possibility of independently assigning transformer instances to input ports would be a nice enhancement. This is already a powerful and flexible product and I’m very satisfied of my purchase. I also appreciate the attention given to customer feedback for product support and evolution.
jlmh007

Presales question

Post by jlmh007 »

Hello Rob, glad I found this page.
I have a bunch of midi switch controllers but the distances between the switches are always not convenient.

I used them for my BeatBuddy and for program changes and CC commands in my keyboard, one to max 5 midi events per switch.

I found your products in a search. I’m interested in the IO unit that I read is standalone ! I don’t plan to use with computer or mobile device.
The IO box Looks nice because with it I will have the freedom to locate the pedals at the positions I really need!

Sorry to bomb you with such a lot of questions, just want to be sure before ordering :

Can the midi out of the IO unit transmit the data that enters from the midi in ?
( I would like to connect a device before and then merge the midi events and midi clock from that device plus the ones coming out from the IO thru the midi out )

If the midi thru is possible, Does the IO accepts and can send thru sysex messages ?

Can the midi out of the IO power another midi box like a midi solutions box ? To connect a midi splitter or other midi box after the IO

How many messages at the same time (or with little ms delays) can be sent from the unit in one footswitch press?

Do you ship to China? I live in Shanghai ! If yes, how long will take ?

Thank you for your help

Luis Moreno
Shanghai
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

jlmh007 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:43 am
Can the midi out of the IO unit transmit the data that enters from the midi in ?
( I would like to connect a device before and then merge the midi events and midi clock from that device plus the ones coming out from the IO thru the midi out )
Yes, when powered via a USB charger or from the 9V DC input, the iO automatically merges its own MIDI with whatever comes in through its MIDI in and sends that out through its MIDI out.
jlmh007 wrote:
If the midi thru is possible, Does the IO accepts and can send thru sysex messages ?
Yes, it will pass sysEx messages of any length.
jlmh007 wrote:
Can the midi out of the IO power another midi box like a midi solutions box ? To connect a midi splitter or other midi box after the IO
Yes, but keep in mind that the iO uses 3.3V for its MIDI output, so it might not provide enough power for some legacy MIDI Solutions hardware that expect 5V.
jlmh007 wrote:
How many messages at the same time (or with little ms delays) can be sent from the unit in one footswitch press?
Not sure what you're asking here. Lets assume that you have the footswitch configured to send a CC message. You can then use up to 3 transformer instances to make 3 transformed copies of that message, so the maximum would be 4 simultaneous messages with one press of the footswitch.
jlmh007 wrote:
Do you ship to China? I live in Shanghai ! If yes, how long will take ?
Yes, but I only very rarely get orders from China and so I can't really be sure how long it would take. I myself live just across the Taiwan straight.

Regards,
Rob
jlmh007

Post by jlmh007 »

Thank you Rob for your fast response.

About the number of midi messages.
I would like to send 4 midi messages in a press of one switch. Which actually could be divided in 2 messages when i step on the footswitch and 2 more when I release it.
Cc00, cc32, PC25 and cc07. Is possible to do this?

Other question I forgot to ask, does the IO send and can pass thru system real time msg like Start Stop messages ?

About the delivery. I totally understand, the times here are unpredictable, which way will be safer to send to Shanghai anyway, using free mail, or using EMS, the fedex option is a bit too expensive :)

Thank you again Rob!

Greetings from Shanghai
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

jlmh007 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:24 am
Cc00, cc32, PC25 and cc07. Is possible to do this?
Yes. You would set the pedal to send CC0 when pressed and route that through the transformer. Then the first transformer instance would duplicate the message and change value 1 to 32. The second transformer instance would duplicate the message, change the type to program change and set the value 1 to 25. And the last instance would duplicate and set value 1 to 7.
jlmh007 wrote:
Other question I forgot to ask, does the IO send and can pass thru system real time msg like Start Stop messages ?
Yes.
jlmh007 wrote:
About the delivery. I totally understand, the times here are unpredictable, which way will be safer to send to Shanghai anyway, using free mail, or using EMS, the fedex option is a bit too expensive
Either registered airmail or EMS. The nice thing about EMS is that is has much more detailed tracking (registered airmail might only say whether it got on the plane or not).
jlmh007

Post by jlmh007 »

Thank you again for your quick answer!

I just ordered one IO unit! Really Looking forward to using it in my next gig with the BeatBuddy and my keyboard!

Thank you very much !