MIDI Expression 2.9.3 BETA is available

omwdc

Re: MIDI Expression 2.9.3 BETA is available

Post by omwdc »

Loving the device and appreciate the engaged support! I am using it with a db instrument dual expression pedal to simultaneously control two midi cc parameters on a Digitech GSP1101 and it works great! I love to create dramatic self-oscillation with delay effects, which you can only really do when you are simultaneously controlling both the Delay Time and Delay Repeats parameters. Unfortunately, the GSP only accepts modification of the Delay Time parameter via tap tempo, not CC. It is able to receive tap tempo over midi (by upgrading to the mustbebeta c63 release) and I would love to be able to control this parameter with the expression pedal so I am wondering, could it be possible using Midi Expression to map midi tap tempo from expression? I am thinking the heel end of the pedal range would be sending infrequent taps, and as the pedal is moved towards the toe position, the taps would get more frequent. Something like this:
|____________|___________|__________|_________|________|_______|______|_____|____|___|__|_|
where the lines are value 127 and the dashes are value 0
Please let me know if this is possible with the current build, or if not, if it is a functionality that it would be possible to implement. In searching, I do find a lot of people looking for a device with this capability (not just GSP1101 users) but I haven't identified any devices that actually can do it, so it could help drive sales - I would definitely post about it in the GSP1101 forum! Thanks
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

AFAIK, there's no such thing as MIDI Tap Tempo. I think what you want is for the MIDI Expression to be able to generate MIDI clock messages, and have that clock adjustable via an expression pedal. It probably doable, but I would need to do a little homework and also measure how stable of a clock signal I'm able to generate. I'll look into it.
omwdc

Post by omwdc »

Thanks for the response! Here is what the latest upgrade manual says about it:
The 1101 now accepts tap tempo via midi controller. To make this work, press the edit select once. Go to the midi/controllers menu and press select again. Scroll down to tap it CC and assign a CC number to the CC Tempo. To tap tempo now just send same controller number to the unit with a value of 127. For control 2 users this same CC (value 127) is sent out of the unit midi thru on the 1101 so you are able to send a tap tempo command to another unit such as a second 1101. Some midi controllers don’t have momentary buttons so they toggle between 127 and 0. For these controllers you can select RCV CC as on/off for latching buttons and still have the same functionality.

The original manual also speaks to a Midi Tempo functionality which I believe could potentially also work and may be a midi clock type function:
MIDI Tempo
The GSP1101’s MIDI Tempo option allows incoming MIDI time code to set the delay time of the delay effects. When this option is set to ON, the GSP1101 delays respond to MIDI time messages it receives.
To set the MIDI Tempo
1. From the Preset screen, press the Edit/Select knob.
2. Turn the Edit/Select knob until the MIDI menu is selected and press the knob.
3. Turn the Edit/Select knob until Merge Tempo is selected.
4. Press the Edit/Select knob to turn the option on or off.
5. Press the Back button to return to the previous menu.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Ya, so what they are saying is that now you can control the tempo with a sustain / footswitch that sends a CC message, functionality which MIDI Expression already supports. Under most situations, this would be the most intuitive and efficient way to do it.
omwdc

Post by omwdc »

Yes but I am trying to see if there is a way to control it via expression.
For my purposes (outlined in first post), modification of the parameter via expression, rather than tap, is far preferable. I’m envisioning the expression pedal sending a cc value of zero over ranges of travel, interspersed with instances of a cc value of 127, with the 127s becoming more frequent approaching the limit of the expression travel (what I tried to depict in first post) - would something like that be possible? Thanks!
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

If you are trying to do it with an expression pedal, the most logical implementation is via MIDI clock. I did a quick and dirty test of sending MIDI clock with an iO and the clock looks pretty stable (not much jitter). It would just be a matter of fleshing it out in the UI.
omwdc

Post by omwdc »

That would be amazing! Much appreciated, let me know if/when you have something for me to download thanks
jlmh007

Post by jlmh007 »

Good Day Rob, I just got my IO box today from the post office, I am trying, It came with firmware 2.9.3.17,

I am testing the transformer settings using the MAC OS app

I need these four messages sent in a footswitch press, I am using a boss fs-5U:

CC07 single value 90
CC00 single value 87
CC32 single value 64
and the last one PC24, the last three messages have to be sent in that specific order, all in channel 14

I put the volume as main message to be sent but I am having problems with the values in the transformers, after I setup the values, when I change to the next transformer setting the previos transformer Operation values are not kept, please check the attached video

EDIT: I also tested editing the box from my iPhone, the values remain in the setting but when I apply the send the last values come with different values as well

Another question, have you consider adding the number of messages that can be send by pressing and depressing the switches? instead or beside the transformers, having for example the ability to send 4 messages with little delays when pressing the pedal and other messages when depressing them? It would be a killer feature !

thank you for your help Rob :)

Luis Moreno
Attachments
Video.mov.zip
screen video
(3.2 MiB) Downloaded 37 times
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I'll have a look tomorrow.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Will this work? Notice that the CC7 is being sent last. Is that an issue? I also see that the program change message shouldn't be displaying a 'value 2' but that's just a display issue which I'll fix.
07-03-2024, 10-21-08.png
07-03-2024, 10-21-08.png (108.58 KiB) Viewed 1111 times
Hmm... It's not quite right. There's definitely a bug or two in there I need to fix yet.