How to implement Alesis Multipad and other triggers to EZD2

a2e

How to implement Alesis Multipad and other triggers to EZD2

Post by a2e »

Hello,
I have an Alesis Multipad that I recently paired with EZD2-EZDrummer2. The Hi Hat response is terrible as connected to the Multipad.

Available equipment: a MAC Air, both a FD-9 and the Alesis Hi Hat controller, a KT-10 for bass, multiple options for a snare (PD-8/85, etc), CY13R, PCY-135/155, BT-1....

My intention is to use the Alesis Multipad for toms, crashes, effects, and if possible one of the pads as the upper trigger for the Hi Hat.

What is the best way to connect all this to EZD2 using an eDRUMin 4/10 with the fewest connections to achieve a clean Hi Hat and the smallest footprint?

Thank you for your feedback.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: How to implement Alesis Multipad and other triggers to EZD2

Post by Rob »

Using the ED10, you could plug the multipad into the ED10 USB host port and then ED10 into your computer. That would save you a USB connection. If you went the ED4 route, then you would need to connect ED4 and your multipad to your computer.

In terms of pads, you'll get 3-way triggering from your CY13R using a single cable, so it makes sense to connect that to the eDRUMin.
a2e

Post by a2e »

Hello Rob,
Thank you for the prompt reply.
How would you handle the HiHat connection?
I didn't ask initially, how would you send your final output (sound) to a mixer for amplification?
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

I have created a mini-kit with the ASMP and either a ED4 or ED10. The benefit of the ED10 is the USB Host port. I only use that when I’m triggering sounds on a slave TD-17 module. An ED4 should be fine when using an EZD2.

First thing you should realize that when using the ASMP the HH controller input does not generate CC4. Second thing, the trigger inputs are very basic. Piezo-piezo pads are all they can really do, and I found the only thing it can do well is a kick pad. Head/rim gain didn’t work very well for me. I could plug in a snare pad and reliably get head and rim articulations. Also xtalk controls is weak on multipad so better to have pads physically separated from xtalk.

I found the actual pads just fine for a minikit. I have no issues with triggering or xtalk with those pads. The pads are big enough to make a minikit comfortable.

The way I use the multipad and eDRUMin is as follows. First, my main kit is a rack based kit that started as a TD-17KVX that then expanded. On occasion I’ve wanted a small minikit so I take my kick pad, snare pad (on a snare stand) and VH13 with the ED4 from the larger kit. For the ED4 set up I use a midi cable from the ED4 to the In/thru MIDI port on the multipad. Big picture the multipad will pass CC4 thru to EZD2. I connect the multipad USB to computer. In the utility menu on the multipad be sure to turn MIDI thru on.

When using the ED10 I either use a USB cable from multipad to USB host port, or a MIDI cable from multipad out to ed10 in. The reason being for the midi cable is that I use the USB host port for the slave TD17 module, and I don’t want a USB hub.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

a2e wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:57 pm
Hello Rob,
Thank you for the prompt reply.
How would you handle the HiHat connection?
I didn't ask initially, how would you send your final output (sound) to a mixer for amplification?
Two options. Use the multipad as an audio interface. Send the master (or aux) output to a direct box then on to the front of house. Second option is use an audio interface on your laptop and send that audio to a direct box on towards the FOH. The audio interface would likely be better, but that is just another box to carry to a gig. I have a Scarlett 18i8 that I use instead of the multipad pad. Benefit of the 18i8 I can send some direct outs to the front of house.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.