Roland to Yamaha Splitter

Sly

Re: Roland to Yamaha Splitter

Post by Sly »

Or maybe with a very hot bell piezo... Low velocity bell hits must give higher voltage than the 10K switch... Or you could get an edge sound by softly hitting the bell, it's not what you want...
Maybe it worth a try, but I'm still sceptical.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Because the bell is always producing a small voltage for every hit. This would cause most hits to be registered as edge hits.
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

TheJay wrote:

Could you please show me an example?
Sure. Can't upload at the moment, so here's a link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mMbTrHVkJVW4u8SC9

Rob, issue with phpBB:

ERROR
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
TheJay

Post by TheJay »

Thank you for your reply.

Ah, I thought you were referring to something slightly different. Yours is set up the same as mine, so I still need to know if there is a way to have all go to one eDRUMin port from my metal ride cymbal.
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

TheJay wrote:Thank you for your reply.

Ah, I thought you were referring to something slightly different. Yours is set up the same as mine, so I still need to know if there is a way to have all go to one eDRUMin port from my metal ride cymbal.
There is, only if you change the bell to a switch, and wire as Yamaha.

On the v1.4 wishlist, Rob has 'added allow the Bell input to be dual mono' , so you can use the other side with a mono input pad, which will give you a tom, kick or single zone cymbal input, but it's not a given that will be implemented.

If input port saving is your goal, are you making the most of all the dual input channels?

I have my kick, 3x toms, splash and stack all using mono inputs (with Stagg splitters), so those 6 triggers only use 3 ports on the eDRUMin.
Last edited by MWJT42 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheJay

Post by TheJay »

Thanks for your reply. How do we change piezo to switch?

I am using 5 splitters already. Eight PD-8 PADS to four inputs and splash and bass drum to one.

It would be great to get bell, bow and edge into one input using only a splitter without a box.
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

TheJay wrote:Thanks for your reply. How do we change piezo to switch?

I am using 5 splitters already. Eight PD-8 PADS to four inputs and splash and bass drum to one.

It would be great to get bell, bow and edge into one input using only a splitter without a box.
The first ProjectBeats 3zone build used a switch for the bell. It's not a pretty build imo, as the switch has to be on top, but I imagine you can make it look nice with a rubber or foam covering.

https://youtu.be/UKfHCBNN2Kc
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

MWJT42 wrote: ERROR
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
Should be fixed.
TheJay

Post by TheJay »

Thanks for your reply.

So what are we saying?

A metal cymbal can be three zone but must have a bell switch trigger rather than piezo to work with these splitter cables, a Keith Taper circuit is required or I should wait for Rob's update as it may not be necessary to change the bell piezo trigger and still be able to use these cables with a resistor built in?
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

TheJay wrote:Thanks for your reply.

So what are we saying?

A metal cymbal can be three zone but must have a bell switch trigger rather than piezo to work with these splitter cables, a Keith Taper circuit is required or I should wait for Rob's update as it may not be necessary to change the bell piezo trigger and still be able to use these cables with a resistor built in?
No, well not entirely (at least if I understand your question correctly).

You only have 2 3-zone options, regardless of cymbal construction - Yamana or Roland wiring:

Roland (bell piezo, bow piezo, edge switch), requires 2 stereo inputs. First input is normal bow/edge wiring, second input is bell on right side only. This input linked to first to allow for eDRUMin to work out if it's the bell being hit, and cancel the bow.

(Rob's potential update may enable use of the 2nd input left side, for another single zone pad, but this doesn't affect the cymbal construction or wiring in any way.)

Yamaha (bell switch - with resistor, bow piezo, edge switch), requires just 1 stereo input to work.

For metal cymbals, the Roland wiring allows for a neater construction imo, as the piezo is hidden underneath the bell, but you have to compromise using up 2 inputs.

The Yamaha wiring, saves an input, but the compromise is the switch on the top of the bell, which makes for a non-stealth design.

You cannot use a piezo bell (voltage generating) for a single stereo input 3 zone ride in any design that eDRUMin allows for (or indeed any possible design I believe). The switch operates completely differently, as it just closes a circuit.

Another compromise you may wish to consider, is going just 2 zone, bell piezo and bow piezo on a dual mono input, set to the respective MIDI notes, as the ride edge may not be something you frequently use (I presume we're talking about a ride construction), and hope that the VST can work out the cancellation of the bow when the bell is triggered (should be fine). You lose out on the choke ability too.

Or, you can add an additional foot pedal for bank switching, to change the (standard 2 zone) ride bow to a bell sound.