Triggering bug on ED4 connected to ED10?

monospace

Triggering bug on ED4 connected to ED10?

Post by monospace »

So a couple of weeks ago, I decided to move my hats, kick, snare and ride to the ED4 that's connected to the host port of my ED10. This way, I figured, if I ever wanted to take a small kit out to a gig, the ED4 would be all I need. (No gigs for the foreseeable future due to COVID but hey, I'm an optimist.)

Ever since, I have been noticing very random, weird audible artifacts, most noticeably on the kick and the snare. Every so often (but still very rarely, I must stress) there will be a hit that sounds like it is going through a "flanger" effect. It reminds me of when I accidentally had both the MIDI out and the USB going into SD3—there would be two "hits" so close together it sounded like a flanger.

Anyway, this is not that. It's also rare enough that it was nearly impossible for me to capture, until tonight. In the attached screenshot you can see that there is a completely random kick hit that gets duplicated/retriggered (I don't know what exactly is happening) at different velocities. Again, this happens on the snare as well, and I assume on the hats and the snare, but it's not nearly as obvious. It does NOT happen with triggers connected to the ED10, only triggers on the ED4 going into the ED10.
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 6.44.48 PM (2).png
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 6.44.48 PM (2).png (205.28 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 6.45.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 6.45.13 PM.png (25.17 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
Last edited by monospace on Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Triggering bug on ED4 connected to ED10

Post by Rob »

The kick and the snare are both being processed by the ED4?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

To me it looks like the the HOLD / DECAY / THRESH settings might be too aggressive and so it's just retriggering (notice the decay in the velocity of the repeated notes).
monospace

Post by monospace »

Rob wrote:To me it looks like the the HOLD / DECAY / THRESH settings might be too aggressive and so it's just retriggering (notice the decay in the velocity of the repeated notes).
That's what I thought too, but making changes there did not seem to make a difference. It also doesn't sound like a retrigger to me.

I saved the recording if you want to have a listen, although obviously it won't tell you anything about the triggering itself. If it helps, I can send the settings for the kick and snare as well.

And yes, kick, snare, hats, and ride are all on the ED4. I should also stress that this is still a very rare occurrence, but quite noticeable audibly when it happens.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
monospace

Post by monospace »

I had a closer look at the decay curve just now, made some adjustments, see if the problem persists.

EDIT: Still there. Doesn't matter if the curve is loose or close. I can get reliable (unwanted) retriggers, but that's not the issue I've been seeing. It's not even related to what I'm playing, as far as I can tell. I can play fast doubles or quarter notes, and just every once in a while, there's this "woosh" sound effect.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

1. How many MIDI messages are there in the SD3 MIDI monitor?
2. Does the eDRUMin display the multiple hits in the Threshold monitor.

I’m just trying to determine if eDRUMin is actually sending multiple signals or is SD3 buggy?
monospace

Post by monospace »

I've been trying to find that out too. The problem is that this issue is so random, it's very hard to track down. I can be playing for 10 or 20 minutes without a problem, and then when it happens I'm either not looking at the screen, or the MIDI monitor has already scrolled past the event. I'm thinking about trying to record a video of the screen tonight to see if I can capture it that way.

I have been trying to eliminate SD3 as the problem, mostly by scaling down kit size to see if it is a memory issue, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Not sure what other approach to try there. I'm leaning towards thinking it's related to the ED4 only because that's the one major change I made recently that coincides with it.
monospace

Post by monospace »

Here's a still from a screen recording of the MIDI monitor. Not sure if it sheds any light on the situation, other than showing that there's indeed a signal coming in. All these C-1 (kickdrum) hits arrived at practically the same time.
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 2.13.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 2.13.12 PM.png (317.21 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
I've also messed around with the scan/hold/decay settings some more, as it does sound reasonable for that to be the culprit, but even as I'm able to reliably cause a double trigger, and make fast hits disappear, by adjusting the Hold length and the Decay curve, none of that sounds like the weird flanger sound I'm hearing.

I also just played for about a half hour with just the ED4 (so kick, snare, hats & ride only), bypassing theED10, and was not able to reproduce the issue.
monospace

Post by monospace »

Plugged the ED4 back into the ED10 and managed to get this screen shot. Two kick hits triggering at the exact same time.
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 5.09.14 PM (2).png
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 5.09.14 PM (2).png (32.5 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I'll see if I can reproduce the issue today.