How are the settings stored?

CapCrunch

How are the settings stored?

Post by CapCrunch »

I'm guessing there's a battery inside that keeps your settings after you disconnect it from your computer and drum module?
Rob
Site Admin

Re: How are the settings stored?

Post by Rob »

No, there is no battery inside. Settings are stored to EEPROM.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

Rob wrote:No, there is no battery inside. Settings are stored to EEPROM.
Does this put a life expectancy on our devices? From what I read (and my knowledge is very limited) constant reprogramming EEPROM shortens their life span. Every time we change a setting the EEPROM is written correct? I suspect there is nothing to worry about... just curious on your thoughts.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I won't go into all the details, but the settings are only saved 5 seconds after the last edit, and only settings that have changed are saved. So if you are moving a fader around, it's not constantly writing to EEPROM. Furthermore, there is hardware wear leveling built into the EEPROM controller. Each byte is rated for 100,000 writes and there 2048 bytes for ED4 and 4096 bytes for ED10 , so the device should be able to handle hundreds of millions of individual byte writes.

Perhaps at some point I can add a checkbox to switch between 'manual' save and 'auto' save.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

Rob wrote:I won't go into all the details, but the settings are only saved 5 seconds after the last edit, and only settings that have changed are saved. So if you are moving a fader around, it's not constantly writing to EEPROM. Furthermore, there is hardware wear leveling built into the EEPROM controller. Each byte is rated for 100,000 writes and there 2048 bytes for ED4 and 4096 bytes for ED10 , so the device should be able to handle hundreds of millions of individual byte writes.

Perhaps at some point I can add a checkbox to switch between 'manual' save and 'auto' save.
Thanks for the explanation. I doubt anybody is going to reach the limits. Even with all the tweaking I’ve done I probably haven’t hit a 1000 writes yet. :D