Rimshot and rim settings

Memorex

Rimshot and rim settings

Post by Memorex »

Hi everyone. I´m setting up my first kit and I´m having some issues.

1) I got a bar trigger from Gear Drum (mounted horinzatlly). The level from the rim piezo is quite high, so I need to have a quite big head zone on the rimshot range menu if I want to play rolls or ghost notes, or else it will trigger a rim sound (attachment 1). The problem with this is if I want to play a rimshot I only get a high velocity center hit (attachment 2).

2) When I play on the rim, the edrumin sends a x-stick midi message, is there any way to differ x-stick with rim only?

There is any way to sort this? I hope that this make sense! Thanks
Attachments
2.png
2.png (4.45 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
1.png
1.png (4.55 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
MWJT42

Re: Rimshot and rim settings

Post by MWJT42 »

Memorex wrote:is there any way to differ x-stick with rim only?
x-stick is rim only...

For clarity:
Dark green, head trigger
Bright green, rimshot (head and rim)
Black, sidestick (rim only)

Make your dark green area much smaller, so the rimshot fires into the bright green space.

(for extra clarity, none of this has anything to do with positional sensing. That's some crazy magic using just the head trigger sensor.)
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

He means the sample "rim-only" , I guess.

I think you have to choose the sample "rim-only" for the x-stick trigger and use an extra x-stick trigger pad.
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

mprinz wrote:He means the sample "rim-only" , I guess.

I think you have to choose the sample "rim-only" for the x-stick trigger and use an extra x-stick trigger pad.
Oh, OK. I use rim only for any mis-hits
Memorex

Post by Memorex »

Yes the sample "rim-only" at least that´s what it´s called on SD3. Sorry if that wasn´t clear!

I will usually use it for the "x-stick" but I was just wondering if if there´s any way to just use the "rim only" like "la grange" style :D

Regarding the rimshot, I know that the bright green box (head and rim) needs to bit a lot bigger, the problem is when I have a smaller box for the head, my rim is triggered when I play ghosts or ruffs, that is why that is so big. Probably this is a trigger problem, because the rim piezo is quite hot. I was just trying to see if there´s a solution for this using the edrumin.

The best response for the head is my priority, that´s why the head box is so big, if it´s smaller I can rimshot but I can´t play low velocity notes on the head.

Thanks for your help anyway guys, I hope that this make more sense now.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Where is the rim sensor located?
Memorex

Post by Memorex »

Rob wrote:Where is the rim sensor located?
It´s a bar trigger mounted horizontally. I tried other positions too, and the problem remains. The rim piezo is underneath. And the cone is 1mm from the bearing edge.

I think that the signal from the piezo is too hot. If I would get a bigger signal diference between the two piezos it would be a lot easier to set the thersold. The problem is that the white indicator flutuates a lot.

If I play the head and rim (rimshot) at the same a "edge" high velocity sample is triggered.

I was thkining to solve this with velocity (I don´t know if there´s a way to do this), like changing a midi note from 100-127 edge zone to rimshot (because I will only use high velocity rimshot samples and low velocity edge samples). But I think that sould exist a easier way to solve this.

X- Stick is working fine btw. The rimshot is the only problem.
Attachments
160917418_237074514781666_6751490221217218834_n.png
160917418_237074514781666_6751490221217218834_n.png (69.01 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Can you post a screenshot of your settings for the pad?
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

I am quite curious here ...
I have four models of pads,
the cheap Millenium 10" plastic, the Jobeky 14", the DIY 14" Snare and the 14" ddt MS 140, and the ATV 13" Snare pad.
And - really - only with the Millenium thing .. I got no false triggers with regards to x-stick or rim shot.
Those pads seemed to be well designed.

Rob, do you think that two potentiometers would solve most of these issues?
Apart from construction defects.
Memorex

Post by Memorex »

These are my current settings. I know the PS is quite exaggerated too, but it works, I´m still tweaking it.

Also, I discussed a solution for this with the trigger manufacture. They will send me a box with a potentiometer and it will be connected between the pad and the eDRUMin. The other solution would be changing the piezo for a 27 mm.
Attachments
101233.png
101233.png (205.96 KiB) Viewed 1288 times